The Man Who Loved Books Too Much
AND The Books We'd Love to "Steal" If We Were Book Thieves!
There was a lot of book lust going on last week as the giveaway for The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett was going on! Thanks to everyone who joined in on the fun! What great books we all would 'steal' if we were book thieves like John Gilkey! Here's the list of what books we'd slip under our hats if we were so inclined! Oh, and I didn't list the identities to protect the innocent...
* A First edition of ANY F. Scott Fitzgerald novel (Famous for his novel The Great Gatsby!)
* The Very First edition of ANYTHING by Edgar Allen Poe
* The First edition of The Collected Works of Shakespeare published in 1623
* The Gutenberg Bible ( the first substantial book printed with movable type, completed in 1455. If your interested, here's a list of where the 21 remaining complete Gutenberg Bibles can be found)
* A Soldier of The Great War by Mark Helprin
* A First Edition of Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner
* A First Edition of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Jane was a popular girl, mentioned a few times!)
* A Handwritten draft by Jane Austen
* A First Edition of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
* a first edition of Paradise Lost by John Milton
* An Original Copy of ANY Shakespeare play (another popular choice!)
* A First Edition of the Dick and Jane Reader (this one brings back fond memories, but not from when they were first used which was the 1930's)
* A Copy of Oscar Wilde and Me by Lord Alfred Douglas
* Who Killed Amanda Palmer by Amanda Parker and Neil Gaiman
* An Original Play by Henrik Ibsen (known for his successful Pillars of Society)
* An Original Copy of Grimms Fairy Tales (Would you like to read a few? Here's a site with all the stories available to read!)
* Emmuska Orczy’s Scarlet Pimpernel books
* The Tunnel Calamity by Edward Gorey
* The Tao Te Ching, the ancient Chinese “Book of the Tao” by philosopher Lao Tzu around 2500 BC
* Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
* First Edition of a Nero Wolfe novel, such as The Doorbell Rang (BTW, Rex Stout wrote the Nero Wolfe novels!)
* Cleopatra’s Daughter by Michelle Moran ( Enter my giveaway for a copy of this!)
* A Signed First Edition of Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
* A First Edition of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
* A Huge Bag Full of Books from Barnes & Noble Bookstore!
Here are some added favorites from other Chick with Books readers:
* Books from the Bronte sisters!
* The Wizard of Oz series!
Any other books that we should add to this list of great books we wish were in our libraries? Any John Steinbeck fans? Dr. Seuss? Jennifer won the giveaway for The Man Who Loved Books Too Much, but as of today it's available from your local bookstore! (and is Kindle Ready!) As for the other books mentioned... you may have a harder time finding them!